Monday, May 08, 2006

Tongue sandwich

Now I know most of you North Americans are going to be saying EWWWWW! But you have to remember that I was born in 1948 and England was still suffering the effects of WWII. I remember clearly sweets being take off rationing and the **silver threepenny piece my Nan gave me to spend to celebrate. So I was raised eating liver, tongue, hearts kidney and so forth. And I still like them. About the only new offal I tried in the US was chicken livers and I like them too LOL.

Oh stop pulling faces, if a cold wind blows your face will stay that way.

Anyway we were grocery shopping a few weeks ago and I saw tinned tongue on the shelf. I know I haven't eaten tongue since I was about 16 or so. Wondering if I still like it, I popped a tin in the shopping cart. Today as usual I asked John what he wanted for lunch, much to my total shock, instead of the usual "I don't mind," he said lets have a tongue sandwich.

One sandwich later that we both really enjoyed, I know that a tin of tongue will go in the shopping cart every once and a while.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it;-)


** To be hones to much time has passed since the old money and I can't remember the correct spelling. Might be thrupney piece LOL.

6 comments:

Cate said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post! I can't even imagine (I'm what the world often terms: "a picky eater")--I'm sure that I've missed out on a lot of delicious foods! Glad it tasted the way you remembered it!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading that I remember the threepenny piece and still have one ~ Ally

Emsxiety said...

Umm yeah.. my face can stay like that. The only tongue in my mouth is mine.. oh and sometimes my husbands but I don't eat either of them!!!!

Lee said...

LOL, gam...I'm sorry that's gross...maybe a tofu version?

Susan said...

oooohhh Vanda! I'm one of those wimpy North Americans---tongue?! I only hope it comes as some sort of paste and not an actual tongue flapping between your bread slices. LOL!!

I'm glad it brought back fond memories.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!